Modern Traditions: Why Diamond Engagement Rings?
Diamonds have been used in engagement rings for centuries. They are seen as a symbol of love, commitment, and eternity. But why are diamonds so popular for engagement rings?
There are a few reasons why diamonds are so popular for engagement rings. First, high-quality, large diamonds are rare and valuable. Moreso, they are very hard and durable, which means that they will last a lifetime when set in precious metals unlike other gemstones. Also, and probably the most obvious reason; Diamonds are known for their beauty. They sparkle and shine, and they come in a variety of colors.
In the early 1900s, a diamond company called De Beers began an advertising campaign that made diamonds seem like the only acceptable choice for an engagement ring. This campaign was very successful, and it helped to make diamonds the most popular choice for engagement rings.
Modern Alternatives to Diamonds
In recent years, there has been a growing trend of people choosing alternative stones for their engagement rings. These stones can be just as beautiful as diamonds, and they can be a fraction of the price.
Some of the most popular alternative stones for natural diamond engagement rings include:
- Lab Grown Diamonds: Lab Grown Diamonds are quite literally diamonds, just grown in a lab instead of over thousands of years in the earth. Even jewelers can't tell the difference between lab grown and natural diamonds without fancy equipment.
- Moissanite: Moissanite is a lab-created stone that is very similar to a diamond in appearance. It is also very hard and durable, and it comes in a variety of colors.
- Sapphire: Sapphires are a type of corundum, which is the same material as rubies. They come in a variety of colors, including blue, pink, yellow, and green.
- Emerald: Emeralds are a type of beryl, and they are known for their deep green color. They are also very rare and valuable.
- Garnet: Garnets come in a variety of colors, including red, orange, yellow, green, and purple. They are also very durable and affordable.
If you are looking for an alternative to a diamond engagement ring, there are many beautiful and affordable options available. You can find stones that are just as beautiful as diamonds, and you can save a lot of money in the process.
Factors to Consider When Choosing an Engagement Ring
When choosing an engagement ring, there are a few factors to consider:
- Your budget: Engagement rings can be expensive, so it is important to set a budget before you start shopping.
- Your partner's style: You want to choose an engagement ring that your partner will love. Consider their style and preferences when making your decision.
- The quality of the stone: It is important to choose an engagement ring with a high-quality stone. This will ensure that the ring will last a lifetime.
- The setting: The setting is the metal that holds the stone in place. There are a variety of settings available, so you can choose one that matches your style.
No matter what factors you consider, choosing an engagement ring is a special and important decision. Take your time and choose a ring that you and your partner will love.